Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sparkle

It's the season for celebrating and many of us get together to enjoy great company and delicious food. With all the holiday parties, it's also a time to get decked out and look your absolute best.

I don't know about you ladies out there but I love sparkle.  Since I consider my style approach as fairly simple, I don't like to over do it.  Just a little bit to highlight your fabulous self.  I found some glitter nail polish by OPI for their "The Muppets" collection and immediately snatched a bottle so I can have them for the holidays. 
(via)
I'm sure many of you shoe lovers out there can agree with me that Louboutins are a girls dream - as I can't afford it, I can only drool from afar.  I saw these glitter pumps and almost died - they were not only glamorous but oh so sparkly and down right sexy! With a simple LBD or a tailored tuxedo suit, I believe this shoe can give your style that extra edge.  Wish I could have a pair, don't you??
(via)
With that said, I believe I can bring some sparkle to my baking as well.  I had an order for my boss' mother's 90th birthday.  The order entailed a double layer red velvet cake and 36 cupcakes.  Since this was such a special celebration and so close to the holidays, I came up with some ideas to make it a little more memorable.

 In the end, I decided to create my own buttercream roses to decorate the cake.  I still used cream cheese frosting for the cake but to make the roses, a stiffer base was needed.  For the cupcakes, instead of a basic swirl for the frosting, I used a tip that created a rose design and to top it off dusted edible red sparkles.  I also purchased red and white polka dot cupcake liners to use instead of a plain basic liner.


In the end, I was able to pull of something sparkle-y and something personal for a very special birthday! Happy Birthday, Mary hope you had an amazing time with your family and friends! Special thanks to Jason Nunan who believed and trusted me to make his mother's birthday cake! :)
Celebrate this holiday season with lots of sparkle and create your own memorable dessert with your loved ones! Cheers! :)

Red Velvet Cake
serves 8-10 
for cupcakes makes 24 

2 1/2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon of red food coloring (gel based) 
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour 8" round cake pans.  Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.  In another bowl, whisk together the oil and eggs until combined.  Add buttermilk and whisk together.  Add food coloring, vinegar and vanilla, whisk until all is incorporated.  In a stand mixer, add wet and dry ingredients together and beat until all combined.  
Divide the cake batter evenly between the two cake pans.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes until center is set.  Use a paring knife to test the cake, if knife is clean then cake is done.  Place pans on a wire rack to cool.  

To make cupcakes use the same recipe but fill the liners half full and bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. 

Cream Cheese frosting
2 packages (8 oz) cream cheese softened
2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups of confectioners sugar

Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.  Add vanilla and beat until it is combined.  Add sugar one cup at a time until frosting is creamy and of medium consistency.  


No comments:

Post a Comment