Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Discovery

[via]
When I moved to New York city nearly six years ago I knew it was the beginning of my life.  I had left the comforts of home, an island in the middle of the Pacific ocean, beautiful beaches and weather, my friends and family and everything that was second nature to me.  Immediately, when I arrived in the Big Apple, I became a small fish in a really big ocean.  My first impression of New York was nothing like my favorite tv show, Sex & the City.  However, the vibe and energy of the city was nothing I had ever felt before.  For some reason, it lit a fire within me and made me feel like I could accomplish anything.  I knew why I came here - to pursue my career in fashion and surround myself with the creativity and passion of fashion lovers around me.  I wanted to immerse myself in it and work hard to climb the "corporate ladder"....
Boy do things change in just a few years... They say if you can make it in New York city, you can make it anywhere.  I completely agree.  The city can suck the life out of you and it takes quite an individual to survive all the elements.  However, after all these years, I have discovered so many things about myself and about life.  New York city plays a small part of my self discovery.  It has led me to my new found passion of baking! 
This leads me to the creamy chocolate-y nutty spread called Nutella.  I discovered this delicious treat when I moved to NYC - I know, I'm a late bloomer.  Everyone always raved about it, when I asked what it was and how they ate it.  There was always something "nutella" at the bakeries and restaurants.  Nutella cupcakes, bars, cakes, crepes, the list goes on...  And when I first had my Nutella crepe - I died and went to dessert heaven.  I was bummed that I had not discovered this years ago but was so elated that I finally met Nutella in one of the greatest cities in the world.  Romantic right?
Some time has passed since my last post and I really wanted to create something personal.  And I think I got it right.... Banana chocolate chip cake with Nutella frosting.  I love bananas and chocolate and of course nutella.  So what better way then to combine all of it together! The result a dense but light tasting banana cake with just enough sprinkles of chocolate chips, topped off with a beautiful Nutella frosting that is not too rich but just right. 
Do you have any self-discoveries that has changed your life? Perhaps you can bake this cake and tell me your story! :)
Thanks for reading!


Banana chocolate chip cake w/ Nutella Frosting
serves 8-10 (2 8" round cake pans)

3 cups of unbleached all purpose flour - update: 2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter (3/4 cup), softened
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 1/2 cups of mashed bananas (about 3 large bananas)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour two 8" cake pans. 
Sift flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.  In a stand mixer, with paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.  Add one egg at a time, be sure to scrape sides down after each egg.  Beat until all combined, then add vanilla.  Mix the milk and mashed bananas in a bowl.  Add banana and flour mixture in thirds to the butter with the dry ingredient ending last. Add chocolate chips. Beat until all ingredients are incorporated.  
Pour batter evenly into the pans. Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes or until the center is set.  Test using a paring knife and if it comes out clean it's done! Cool pans on a wire rack.  

Nutella Frosting

2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
1 cup of Nutella
2 tablespoons of milk
1 cup of confectioners sugar

Beat butter, nutella and milk until combined.  Then add sugar to thicken.  Beat until mixture becomes smooth and light in color.  


Happy Baking!!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I am sooo going to try and make this for Mike! Looks so delish! I wish I was there with you so you can bake for me. =) miss you biffers. xoxo nik

    ReplyDelete